Join Desert Rivers Audubon and business member Wild Birds Unlimited, Mesa, for our App launch, Guide to 101 Birding Sites – Phoenix, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 2-4pm at the Wild Birds Unlimited store, 2110 E. Baseline Rd. Suite 1, Mesa, AZ 85204. This event is free with light refreshments served.
Guide to 101 Birding Sites – Phoenix features:
- Four free sites (Gilbert Riparian Preserve, Veteran’s Oasis Park-Chandler, Rio Salado Habitat Restoration Area-Phoenix, and Boyce Thompson Arboretum)
- Current aerial photo
- Google maps (driving directions)
- Specific site data: acreage, habitat type, authority, facilities, elevation, access, and fees
- Overview of sites – Description of habitat and birds you’re likely to see.
- Seasonal bird list – through eBird
- eBird Hotspots
The Guide to 101 Birding Sites – Phoenix app is the the updated version of author Mike Rupp’s book, The Birds-Eye Guide to 101 Birding Sites: Phoenix. The valley is divided into four quadrants to help the user decide where to go, and make the most of your time when you do. Urban sites are listed, as well as more rugged and remote sites outside the valley, with exact driving directions, and an index to all sites. Some sites may be familiar to local birders, but undoubtedly there are many new ones to explore.
The app will cost $9.99. It will be available for both iPhone and Android smartphones through the respective app marketplaces.